Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  HomeHome  Arcade (Must register on the arcade)Arcade (Must register on the arcade)  

Brian Sabean offseason interview with Giants News.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rambo

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-02-14

Create A Player
Character's Name: Michael Johnson
Character's Age: 18
Characters current team and yrs/salary per year: Baltimore Orioles

Brian Sabean offseason interview with Giants News. Empty
PostSubject: Brian Sabean offseason interview with Giants News.   Brian Sabean offseason interview with Giants News. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 6:45 am

Giants News

Last night I had the chance to sit down with Brian Sabean, General Manager of the San Francisco Giants to discuss the 2007 season and the club's plans for the 07/08 offseason.

Giants News: Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to chat with us, Brian.

Brian Sabean: Not a problem.

GN: The Giants surprised everybody in 2007, with a band of youngsters carrying the team to an 80-82 record, the best in the last couple of years. How do you feel about the team's performance?

BS: Well, obviously, like everyone else in the club's management, we're thrilled to see these guys produce an excellent effort this season, it really has laid a positive foundation for the future.

GN: You made some big decisions this year, breaking up the team's veteran presence in favour of youngsters, and it payed off. How do you feel about the moves you made?

BS: Well, we're sad to see people like Barry, Bengie and Dave (Roberts) underperforming, but when people underperform, they should expect to be replaced. So we got some good guys to sure up our roster for the future, guys like Aaron Rowand and Jonny Gomes, these guys figure to be apart of our team for years to come, and hopefully make us more competitive in the future.

GN: Giants fans were also impressed by the homegrown talent that produced this year. Will people like Kevin Frandsen, Eugenio Velez, Fred Lewis and Nate Schierholtz see regular time next year?

BS: Well, I think that Kevin has secured second for 2008, but then again, we've got some talented Minor Leaguers that will be invited to camp, and all spots are open to competion. As for Velez, he'll probably start 08 on the bench, as we acquired Ben Zobrist with Dioner Navarro from Tampa. Lewis and Schierholtz will also start the season on the bench, but of course, performance, and health of the players will dictate this.

GN: The World Series ended today, players can now officially file for free agency, will you offer contracts to any of your possible free agents?

BS: Yes, we have offered Aaron Rowand a contract extension, and his agent has informed us that he has accepted our offer. Obviously we cannot release financial details at this stage, but we're excited to have a player like Aaron back on board. As for the others, we will not tender any of our other free agent's contracts, continuing the long process of removing the veterans from our squad.

GN: You've already made some positive moves this offseason, acquiring Dioner Navarro and Ben Zobrist from the Rays, fulfilling 2 of the club's biggest needs. Do you plan on making any other moves later on this offseason?

BS: Well, we're always looking to improve our squad, and we have had many other clubs inquire about some of our players. Although we're unlikely to make any more trades, we have a keen eye on the free agency pool, as we have quite a bit of cap room, probably enough to accomodate another solid player. I'm not going to name names, but we have locked in on a couple of free agents who we figure will be good fits for our club, and we'll make a big push for them when bidding begins.

GN: Giants fans have labeled you as one of the worst GMs in Giants history, saying that you have left the youth movement way too late, and hanging on to overpriced veterans for too long. How do you respond?

BS: Well, I will always do what I feel is best for the ballclub, and that is what I've been doing since I came to San Francisco. Look at it this way, it's better late than never! We aren't turning back now.

GN: One final question, do you think the Giants will be competitive in 2008?

BS: Well, every season I go in with that mentality, if you don't, it's time to resign (laughs). But seriously, it's going to be a tough ask to overcome the defending NL champs the Dodgers, who have endless talent. Colorado and Arizona also stand between us and the top of the West, and they have extremely talented young squads. I'd like to think that our squad is going to be of that calibur in 2008. Obviously our pitching, particularly Matt (Cain) and Tim (Lincecum) need to win games and stay healthy if we are to be in with a shot.

GN: Thanks for your time, Brian.

BS: Anytime.
Back to top Go down
Commish
Commish
Commish

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Create A Player
Character's Name: Zach Burnette
Character's Age: 18
Characters current team and yrs/salary per year: Florida Marlins (R), $12,300 until 2011

Brian Sabean offseason interview with Giants News. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian Sabean offseason interview with Giants News.   Brian Sabean offseason interview with Giants News. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 9:11 pm

LOVED the interview, Rambo. You should write more if you have a chance sometime. Very well written article.
Back to top Go down
https://sbh2.forumotion.com

Brian Sabean offseason interview with Giants News.
Page 1 of 1